Thursday 13 December 2012

New years resolutions!


Today I watched an interesting ITV documentary which follows the day-to-day goings on at a hospital specifically for weight loss patients; the idea of having a hospital 100% dedicated towards helping obese people seemed bizarre yet interesting. I found it unsurprising that statistics showed that 98% of people who try to diet will actually FAIL! Well! id like to be one of the few that eventually achieves their goal.

On January 1st billions of people nationwide are expected to make half hearted & often unrealistic promises to themselves which will no doubt be broken within the first seven days; losing weight, quitting smoking, signing up to a gym are three of the most popular. Its no secret that membership at both leisure centres and weight loss groups like Weight watchers or Slimming world have a significant rise during that first optimistic month of the year. I myself have been guilty of setting myself unmanageable goals and every year since my teens I have jumped on the band wagon with all the other lovers of everything chocolatey and bad for my body by also joining slimming groups/gyms.

I have slowly come to realise that setting yourself monthly targets is not an effective way of losing weight: often life can produce unexpected obstacle. Its important to remember that it's OK to have a bad day, no bodys perfect and a person cannot realistically live a happy meaningful life by abiding by strict eating/exercise regime. I find its best to adapt new foods, healthier ways of eating in your own lifestyle rather than completely changing the person you are. So, although I respect other peoples decisions to jump on the January health-kick bandwagon, this year I am taking an alternative approach by NOT making any resolutions for 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment