Tuesday 29 January 2013

Uniforms KILL individuality

There are many reasons for having a uniform in the work place; personal safety, protection for others or even to create a better sence of belonging to a certain team. Although a persons everyday work attire is often an essential requirement defined in legislation,  this doesnt hide the fact that without a doubt most types of uniform KILL individuality and identity.

Ever since I started college Iv always liked experimenting with different hairstyles, accessories and colours. Since my teens Iv also established an obsessive love for handbags (42 and counting) which my Mother-in- law finds rather astonishing. Although I fully believe that an eye shadow, a pair of shoes or a new handbag cannot truely define a person (nore can it bring happiness) I DO believe that it helps shape our personality and sence of confidence.

Fact is I love vibrant nail varnish, nice clothing and a cute pink shade on the lips; life just seems a happier place with a bit of colour. Theres only one thing to remember when it comes to the uniform policy at work; get rid of all the things you love and forget about anything colourful. Everybody looks the same, something which has both negatives and positives. No person stands out from the crowd and no person can start a totally pointless conversation about how you like a strangers new cardigan in a desperate attempt to make friends with strangers in a new environment.

Sizing can often be  the biggest pain in the backside as each staff member had to order their uniforms upto three sizes bigger than their norm; for me having worked hard to diet from a size 26 to a size 22 (workin progress) this was a gigantic slap in the face. I must admit ut killed my spirit a little on the first day when I had to order the big size due to the poor fabric and dodgy sizes, I mean why lie? Why claim a garmant is a certain size and blatantly lie!?

Two weeks into the new job and the uniform issues upsetting me a little, mainly due to thefact that the fabric makes a crinkling sound whenever I walk. So far the only positive bonus in having a compulsory uniform is that I get to save the content of my pretty wardrobe for my offduty days meaning these clothes stay well kept and I also gave a solud distinction between work and home.

Most uniforms lack colour, individuality and imagination.... mine too lacks tremendously in all those vital areas but for now Iv just come to accept that its all part of the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment